This venerable vocabulary practice activity is a great, straightforward way to revise words as well as making a fantastic warmer. This game works with groups of 2 upwards, but is best with a minimum of 4 students.
The goal of the game is for your students to describe words that you write on the board.
Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Preparation: Zero. Although you need to have a stock of words and a whiteboard or flipchart
Level: Elementary – Advanced
Happy students: ****
1. Put students into two teams
2. Put two chairs in front of the whiteboard/flipchart, with the chairs facing away from the board
3. Ask a student from each team to sit in each chair
4. Write two different target words on the board
5. Each student’s team mates describe the word, without using the word itself. The first student to guess their word gets one point
6. The team with the most points at the end are the winners