This is a great time filler for those 20 minutes at the end of the class when you have nothing to do
Time: 5 – 25 minutes
Level: Elementary – Advanced
Happy students: *****
- Draw a grid on the board (see right, with credit to Paint)
- Add 4 categories – you decide or better, throw it open to your excited/creative students. Examples: countries, food, drinks, football teams, parts of the body, clothes.
- Students stand up and get one pen per team.
- You run through the alphabet in your head. They say stop and you give them a letter. For example, C. They have to write a word for each category beginning with C.
- When they have written a word in each category, they say stop.
- Give them one point for each correct word. You can decide whether to take points away for cheating or spelling mistakes. I normally give them a bonus point if they write 4 words correctly.
- Repeat for as many rounds as you wish.