Very nice warmer for the class after looking at some grammar point – your past simples, your present perfects and the like. Probably safest to keep this one for your younger/competitive students, although I’ve had 60 year olds aggressively defending their chairs.
Time: 5 – 20 minutes
Preparation: Zero! However, you need a room big enough to make a circle of chairs
Level: Elementary- Advanced
Happy students: ****
- Create a circle of chairs in the middle of the room. You need one less chair than your number of students. Make sure you leave a circle of at least 2 metres diameter in the centre.
- Students sit in their chairs. The one extra student stands in the middle of the circle.
- The student in the middle has to make a sentence using the target grammar. For example, I went to the park on Sunday
- All the students who ‘went to the park’ have to change chairs. The ones who didn’t, stay sat down
- You’ll be left with a new student in the middle who then makes a new sentence.